Most of us dream of a garden with blooming flowers all year round and we want to enjoy wonderful colors and aroma of flowers everywhere, even in the house!
A practical way to transfer all this beauty into our home is the flowers we decorate in a vase . And while they grow and bloom in our garden, we take care of them to have the best aesthetic result, sometimes after we cut them and place them in a vase, they quickly lose the freshness and vibrancy of their colors.
The flower shop “LAURA SPRING FLOWERS, LAURETA S. DOGA” in the center of Athens you will find fresh seasonal flowers, compositions, bouquets, plants, wedding and baptisms decorations, as well as various proposals at the best market prices!
Let’s see what steps we follow and in what ways we can keep the flowers in a vase for a longer period of time, so that we can enjoy their wonderful flowering and aroma more.
How can we keep the flowers in a vase for more days?
- It all starts with the cut. The best time to cut the flowers that we will decorate in a vase is early in the morning. This way we ensure that our flowers are cooler and full of fragrance.
- Cut them sideways, at a distance of about two centimetres above the base of the flowering stem, so that they can absorb more water.
- It is important to cut the flowers in a basin of water so that our flowers come in contact with the air as little as possible.
- Remove the lower leaves of the flowering shoots, as well as withered flowers so that they do not fall into the water and rot.
- We clean our jar using a little bleach for disinfection from fungi and germs.
- Be careful not to place more flowers in the vase than it can hold, because in this way we damage the shoots and stems of the plants.
- Avoid large amounts of water in the vase for certain flowers, such as gerberas that have small hairs on their stem, as they rot quickly.
- Change the water every 3 days and cut the flowers again one centimetre above the previous incision.
- Place the vase with the flowers in a bright place and make sure that the sun does not hit them directly.
- We keep the vase away from radiators and fireplaces as well as from air currents, because our flowers suffer and wither faster.
7 Professional tricks to keep your flowers more long fresh
It is a very nice thing to have our house full of flowers, especially now that Spring is slowly coming. The flowers give life and color to a space and can be kept longer by following one of the following 7 tips.
Put 1/4 cup soda in a jar with water and flowers. Soda will help the flowers last longer. If you want the water to stay clean use Sprite or 7-Up.
To keep the flowers fresh for a long time, it is enough to somehow kill the bacteria that grow in the vase and lead them to ‘death’. Make an antibacterial with a few drops of vodka and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Be sure to change the water day after day by renewing the vodka-sugar mixture.
Hairspray is a good choice to see your flowers last longer. Spray a good dose of hairspray on the petals and leaves of your flowers and see if they stay fresh for more days.
Apple cider vinegar
Mix 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar with 2 tablespoons sugar and pour the mixture into the water you put your flowers. Change the water every 2-3 days by adding apple cider vinegar and sugar.
Break an aspirin and throw the crumbs in the jar with the water contained in your flowers. Be sure to change the water every 2-3 days.
Copper helps keep flowers fresh longer. Throw a copper coin into the jar along with a sugar cube. Copper will prevent the formation of bacteria.
Make a mixture consisting of 3 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of white vinegar. When filling the jar, make sure it has water up to 7-10 cm from the bottom. Sugar nourishes plants, while vinegar inhibits the growth of bacteria. You will be amazed at how fresh your flowers will look for a long time.
Flower compositions and bouquets
We, at Laura Flowers know that creating a composition, bouquet or any product is a matter of experience and attention to detail. For this very reason, every gift is prepared by our experienced florists and delivered on time, even the same day, beautifully and neatly, without the slightest risk of the flowers being damaged or withered during transport.
In our shop you will find fresh seasonal flowers, compositions, bouquets, plants, wedding and baptisms decorations, as well as various proposals at the best market prices!